10 tips for coming up with character personalities
- Pick an archetype that resonates with you.
- Brainstorm and take notes of unique traits
- Establish character backstory
- Determine how the character looks & sounds
- Choose a few defining physical traits
- Develop a sense of humor & outlook
- Analyze another interesting character for inspiration
- Explore motivations & interests
- Consider how the character speaks & reacts
- Develop their quirks & mannerisms
The Difference Between Character and Personality
Character personalities, in short, are the personality traits that make up a character's persona. Understanding how they interact with other characters in a story and what their motives are will help writers create believable, three-dimensional characters. It's important to note, however, that there are both positive and negative influences on these traits.
Why should you use a Character Personality Generator?
Using a Character Personality Generator can be a great tool for any writer. It can provide an easy way to generate realistic character traits and personality types, helping to bring a character to life and make them more realistic. This generator can provide an essential building block for any story, making it easier for a writer to develop a fully rounded and believable character that readers can identify with.
So many ideas, but can I use the character personalities for free?
All random character personalities created with this tool are 100% free to use without any need to provide credit (although we do appreciate the occasional shoutout). Be a little careful though, as there is always a small chance that an idea already belongs to someone else.
Is there a limit to how much I can generate with this random Character Personality Generator?
There's thousands of character personalities in this Character Personality Generator, so you won't need to be worried that we'll run out anytime soon. Just have fun with it.
For even more ideas and some additional options, be sure to also check out the Character Personality Generator over on The Story Shack.
Explore some character personalities
- Ginger Pace wants to dscover the world and is 86 years old. Ginger's personality can be described as polite. Appearance: scarred skin, average, emaciated with straw hair and shy eyes.
- Leann Dougherty is married to an alcoholic and is 20 years old. Leann's personality can be described as lazy. Appearance: greyish skin, short, compact with blond hair and sad eyes.
- Melody May is a business owner and is 29 years old. Melody's personality can be described as smart. Appearance: dry skin, very short, athletic with white hair and sparkling green eyes.
- Nicholas Jackson has a bucket list and is 67 years old. Nicholas's personality can be described as dependable. Appearance: dry skin, tall, athletic with purple hair and calculating eyes.
- Lesley Moses is in love with a neighbor and is 12 years old. Lesley's personality can be described as ambitious. Appearance: smooth skin, extremely tall, well-built with white hair and dull brown eyes.
- Ivan Vargas has five siblings and is 36 years old. Ivan's personality can be described as charismatic. Appearance: scarred skin, short, slim with brown hair and sparkling green eyes.
- Aron Holloway had a twin brother who passed away and is 23 years old. Aron's personality can be described as arrogant. Appearance: light skin, average, stooped with red hair and haunted eyes.
- Kelly Faulkner is stuck in a failing marriage and is 55 years old. Kelly's personality can be described as reliable. Appearance: dark skin, very short, taut with blond hair and dull brown eyes.
- Sherman Castro wants to dscover the world and is 31 years old. Sherman's personality can be described as polite. Appearance: pale skin, extremely tall, overweight with mahogany hair and dull brown eyes.
- Stan Avila is a business owner and is 17 years old. Stan's personality can be described as boring. Appearance: oily skin, extremely tall, heavy-set with red hair and dark eyes.